This is a blog created by a very opinionated guy. I hope you understand 'opinionated,' because that's all the warning you get. So, just remember, if something on this blog offends you, just LEAVE.

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Posing to the Beat

Two things I'm really getting tired of: Musical posers and crappy bands trying to cover good songs.

"Musical Poser" is a term I made up (I think) to describe somone who A)Listens to music to try to look cool or B)wears the logo or shirt of a band because that particular band is popular. I don't know many around here who fall into cateogry B, but there are several category A posers in my high school. Here I specifically mean the people who used to listen to good music-Pink Floyd, Rush, Metallica, and the like-but suddenly start listening to 'a perfect circle' and 'good charlotte' (gag). They claim to really like it, but when you watch them listen to the music, they get this expression, I think unconciously, of extreme boredom and distaste. They are always eager to talk about the good music when their "new music buddies" aren't around. You quickly realize that they really don't like the music. The usual reasons for the change are either they think they are in love with someone who likes that music, or are trying to work their way into the 'in' crowd. I can almost understand the first one. But if you want to impress a girl, don't change your music. That is as much a part of you as your personality or your opinions. Be more polite, work out a little, I don't know, but never change who you are on account of some girl, no matter who she is. And if you leave your old friends to get into the 'in' crowd, you are a stupid piece of shit and should be put out of your misery.

Second complaint: bad covers.
Okay, first off, both Korn and Limp Bizkit (did I spell that right?) are all right-sometimes. I don't buy their cd's but I do watch MTV(play more vidoes, dammit! "the real world" is played out!) and VH1 from time to time. Also, some of my friends like Korn and try to get me to listen to it. It's not bad, but I think I'll stick to Rush. Anyway, a while back I heard that Limp Bizkit, or maybe it was just Durst, had done a cover of "Behind Blue Eyes," which is a really good Who song, as you (should) know. So I found a website where I could watch the video without downloading it. I started it up, watched it, went to bed, and cried myself to sleep. It ws awful. If you disagree, you probably never heard the original or are too stupid to make a comparison.

So, anyway, today I was in my theatre tech class when somone mentioned that Korn had covered "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd (duh). A classmate happened to have it on him, so I asked if I could give it a listen, see if it was any good.

It was good enough to make me nauseous. Seriously, it was awful. I think I died a little inside.
Final word: All I'm trying to say here is, you can make a cover if you get permission, go ahead. But before you release it, play it for some fans of the original song. If they like it, release it and you probably won't piss anyone off. If they shriek, vomit, convulse, and/or die....think it over. I know you're going to release it anyway, since most modern music is just about the money, but think it over first.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

No comments: